Halloween is one of VRChat's biggest Holidays. This year, the Spookality Event returns with a vengeance.
Creators, check out the contest rules below and have fun bringing your scary creations to life!
Builders, get ready to make the scariest and most entertaining Halloween experiences yet in VRChat. Contest begins October 1st. Submissions close on October 23rd at 12:00 PST.
We'll be showing off your creations during Halloween weekend (October 25th through the 27th), ending with the winners being announced on the 27th. Winners will have their submissions highlighted in VRChat and on the website.
The VRChat Hub is getting a make-over for the Spookality Event. Make sure to visit to show off your Halloween avatars and check out the highlighted worlds.
You may also notice some paranormal occurrences taking place the entire month of October...
There will be four contest categories: Best PC World, Best Cross-Platform World, Best PC Avatar and Best Cross-Platform Avatar.
First through fifth place winners in each category will receive a Limited Edition VRChat ceramic mug (as seen on our Dev Streams), and the first place winners will also receive a $50 gift card to Threadless.com!
Entries must be original and not violate any third-party rights, and the entrant must have all rights necessary to submit the Entry.
No purchase necessary.
Contest will run from October 1st, 2019 to October 23th, 2019.
Entrants must have a valid VRChat account to enter, and cannot be currently banned from the app.
The contest is open to all worldwide.
Rooms should be built to accommodate up to creator's set user cap in the room without drops in performance.
No prize substitutions allowed.
All prizes will be sent via Threadless' shipping carriers.
World and avatar submission are being accepted immediately through October 23th at 12:00 PST. Links to the submission form will be added during the submission time period. You must include a valid world ID and/or avatar ID.
VRCHAT USER-GENERATED CONTENT SKILLS CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES
1. No Purchase Necessary; Entry Instructions.NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY MONEY IS NECESSARY TO ENTER. A PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE THE CHANCES OF WINNING. ODDS OF WINNING WILL DEPEND ON THE TOTAL NUMBER OF ELIGIBLE ENTRIES RECEIVED AND ON THE SKILL OF THE ENTRANT. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW OR WHERE REGISTRATION OR BONDING REQUIRED. SUBJECT TO ALL FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL LAWS.
To participate in the VRChat User-Generated Content Skills Contest (the “Promotion”)
beginning at October 1st, 2019 at 12:00 pm Pacific Time ("PT") and ending on October 23,
2019 at 12:00 pm PT (the “Promotion Period”), you must fill out the VRChat Halloween
2019 Contest form (collectively, the “Entry”). By posting or submitting an Entry, you are accepting these Official Rules. Sponsor’s computer is the official time-
keeping device for the Promotion. Time and eligibility of Entry will be determined by
Sponsor in its sole discretion. On or about November 9, 2019 Sponsor will select the
winner. Sponsor will announce the winner via Blog Post.
All Entries must meet the following criteria:
Entries must be original and not violate any third-party rights, and the entrant must have all rights necessary to submit the Entry.
Entries may not contain material that is obscene, defamatory, libelous, threatening, pornographic, racially or ethnically offensive, or encourages conduct that would be considered a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, or violate any law. Entries must be appropriate for viewing by the general public; appropriateness will be determined by Sponsor.
In the event of a dispute as to any entrant, the authorized account holder of the account will be deemed to be the registrant. The “authorized account holder” is the natural person assigned the account by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning addresses or user names associated with the submission. Each potential winner may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder. Sponsor shall have the ultimate right to determine the identity of entrants in its sole discretion.
2. Eligibility. In order to be eligible, participants must be at least 13 years of age. If you are a minor, by participating you represent that your parent or legal guardian has agreed to these Official Rules and that you are receiving a benefit by participating. By entering the Promotion, you are also representing that your employer policies permit you to participate the Promotion and accept a prize. Employees of Sponsor and its parent and affiliate companies as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and household members of each such employee are eligible to participate but are not eligible to win any prize.
3. Prizes.There will be four contest categorizes: “best world PC,”, “best world cross-
platform,” “best avatar PC,” and “best avatar cross-platform.” Each category will have one
first-place winner and four additional winners. Each first-place winner will receive one (1)
limited edition mug (valued at approximately $10) and one (1) gift card from
threadless.com; valued at $50. Each additional winner will receive one (1) limited edition
mug (valued at approximately $10). The total ARV of all prizes combined is $400. No
substitution, assignment or transfer of the prizes is permitted, except by Sponsor, who has
the right to substitute a prize with another of comparable or greater value. TAXES, IF ANY,
RELATED TO THE PRIZE ARE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNER.
4. Winners. The winners of the Promotion will be determined based on the following:
The object of the Promotion is to encourage and award the creation of creative, unique,
fun, artistic, and scary rooms & VRChat avatars. Judging will be done by Sponsor or its
In the event a potential winner is disqualified, the prize will be given to the next entrant eligible to win a prize based on the judging criteria. The winner will be attempted to be notified by email and will have 10 days from notification to accept the prize. Sponsor is not responsible for any delay or failure to receive notification for any reason, including inactive account(s), technical difficulties associated therewith, or winner’s failure to adequately monitor any account. Except where prohibited, participation in the Promotion constitutes participant’s consent to Sponsor’s use of participant’s Entry, name, likeness, voice, opinions, biographical information, and residence for promotional purposes in any media without further payment or consideration. Winner (and winner’s guest) may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility, liability release and a publicity release that, among other things, will further allow Sponsor to use a winner’s name, likeness, voice, opinions, biographical information, and residence for publicity and promotional purposes without further compensation where permitted by law.
Because this is a contest of skill, winning the Promotion is dependent on the quality and number of submissions received.
5. Conditions of Participation. By submitting an Entry for this Promotion, you agree to abide by these Official Rules and any decision Sponsor makes regarding this Promotion, which Sponsor or its designees shall make in their sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify and prosecute to the fullest extent permitted by law any participant or winner who, in Sponsor’s reasonable suspicion, tampers with Sponsor’s site, the entry process, intentionally submits more than the allowed entries, violates these Official Rules, or acts in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner.
6. Intellectual Property: Ownership of the pre-existing underlying intellectual property of the entrant remains the property of the entrant subject to Sponsor’s rights to reprint, display, reproduce, perform, use, and exhibit the Entry for the purpose of administering and promoting the Promotion and for Sponsor’s marketing and advertising purposes, including on Sponsor’s website. By participating in the Promotion, each entrant grants to Sponsor a non-exclusive, worldwide, fully paid, royalty-free, perpetual, transferable license to reprint, display, reproduce, perform, use, and exhibit (including the right to make derivative works of) the Entry and materials and information submitted on and in connection with the Promotion or use or receipt of the prize for any and all purposes in any medium. Each participating entrant hereby warrants that any Entry and other materials and information provided by entrant are original with entrant and do not violate or infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity or other intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity, and do not violate any rules or regulations. If the Entry or information or materials provided by entrant contain any material or elements that are not owned by entrant and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, entrant represents he or she has obtained, prior to submission of the Entry and information or materials, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit use and exploitation of the Entry and information and materials by Sponsor in the manner set forth in the Official Rules without additional compensation.
Each entrant warrants that the Entry and materials and information provided do not contain information considered by entrant, its employees or personnel, or any other third party to be confidential, and that the Entry, materials and information provided do not violate any laws or regulations. Entrant represents and warrants that he or she has permission from his employer and any necessary third party to enter the Promotion, take and submit the photo and Entry, and receive the prize. Entrant agrees that Sponsor has the right to verify the ownership and originality of all Entries and that, upon Sponsor’s request, entrant must submit a written copy of any release or permission entrant has received from a third party granting entrant the right to use such property. Entrant understands and acknowledges that in the event a submission is selected as a winning Entry, and entrant’s ownership, rights and the originality of the Entry cannot be verified to the satisfaction of Sponsor or is in any other way ineligible, Sponsor may select an alternate winner based on the same judging criteria.
7. Disclaimer, Release and Limit of Liability. SPONSOR MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, REGARDING ANY PRIZE OR YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THE PROMOTION. BY ENTERING THE PROMOTION OR RECEIPT OF ANY PRIZE, EACH ENTRANT AGREES TO RELEASE AND HOLD HARMLESS SPONSOR, ANY THIRD-PARTY SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORM UTILIZED FOR THE PROMOTION, AND THEIR SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS, DISTRIBUTORS, ADVERTISING/PROMOTION AGENCIES, AND PRIZE SUPPLIERS, AND EACH OF THEIR RESPECTIVE PARENT COMPANIES AND EACH SUCH COMPANY’S OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES AND AGENTS (COLLECTIVELY, THE “RELEASED PARTIES”) FROM AND AGAINST ANY CLAIM OR CAUSE OF ACTION, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PERSONAL INJURY, DEATH, OR DAMAGE TO OR LOSS OF PROPERTY, ARISING OUT OF PARTICIPATION IN THE PROMOTION OR RECEIPT OR USE OR MISUSE OF ANY PRIZE. THE RELEASED PARTIES ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR: (1) ANY INCORRECT OR INACCURATE INFORMATION, WHETHER CAUSED BY ENTRANTS, PRINTING ERRORS OR BY ANY OF THE EQUIPMENT OR PROGRAMMING ASSOCIATED WITH OR UTILIZED IN THE PROMOTION; (2) TECHNICAL FAILURES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO MALFUNCTIONS, INTERRUPTIONS, OR DISCONNECTIONS IN PHONE LINES OR NETWORK HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE; (3) UNAUTHORIZED HUMAN INTERVENTION IN ANY PART OF THE ENTRY PROCESS OR THE PROMOTION; (4) TECHNICAL OR HUMAN ERROR WHICH MAY OCCUR IN THE ADMINISTRATION OF THE PROMOTION OR THE PROCESSING OF ENTRIES; OR (5) ANY INJURY OR DAMAGE TO PERSONS OR PROPERTY WHICH MAY BE CAUSED, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, FROM ENTRANT’S PARTICIPATION IN THE PROMOTION OR RECEIPT OR USE OR MISUSE OF ANY PRIZE. If for any reason an entrant's Entry is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost, or otherwise destroyed or corrupted, entrant’s sole remedy is another entry in the Promotion, provided that if it is not possible to award another entry due to discontinuance of the Promotion, or any part of it, for any reason, Sponsor, at its discretion, may elect to hold a random drawing from among all eligible entries received up to the date of discontinuance for any or all of the prizes offered herein. No more than the stated number of prizes will be awarded. In event that production, technical, programming or any other reasons cause more than stated number of prizes as set forth in these Official Rules to be available and/or claimed Sponsor reserves the right to award only the stated number of prizes by a random drawing among all legitimate, unawarded, eligible prize claims.
8. Governing Law. This Promotion and the rights and obligations of Sponsor and participants will be governed by and controlled by the laws of the State of California, applicable to contracts made and performed therein without reference to the applicable choice of law provisions. All actions, proceedings or litigation relating hereto will be instituted and prosecuted solely within the State of California, San Francisco County. Entrant agrees that: (i) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Promotion shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; (ii) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Promotion, but in no event attorneys' fees; and (iii) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased.
10. Winners List. Individuals may request the name of the winners by submitting a self-addressed stamped envelope prior to November 8th, 2019 to November 15th. Vermont residents may omit postage.
11. Sponsor. Sponsor of this Promotion is VRChat Inc, 1062 Folsom Street, San Francisco, CA 94103
While these will have no effect on judging, it might be useful to follow a few of these guidelines to promote your world as a popular place to hang out before and after Halloween is over.
Put a safe place in your world, where visitors can hang out and chat together knowing nothing is going to spook them.
Have signs at the entrance to your world alerting people if there will be jump scares.
Promote yourself! If you have a website where people can find out more about your work, let people know at the entrance to your world.
Let us know when submitting a world if it's better experienced solo or in a group (small/large).
Potential updates to the SDK could break content. Please keep this in mind and always make sure you have the latest SDK as well as our latest supported Unity version (2017.4.28f1).
At the end of the day ...
Halloween is all about having fun. Please enjoy yourself and have a happy VRChat Spookality! Good luck to all those that enter! Remember when wearing your headset, you can't see the monster behind you.